Discover your options for protecting yourself from outrageous bills associated with medical emergency transport.
Published on December 7th, 2023 in Medical Evacuation, Travel Insurance
There are (at least) two things every person dreads:
And of course, these two events often coincide with one another!
Whether it’s a slip-and-fall, an accident while traveling, or an unexpected illness, health problems can sometimes require emergency medical transportation. And after the shock of the injury has worn off, many people experience another shock in the form of an outrageous bill for their medical transportation.
And since nobody likes to pay a huge medical bill, many folks look for ways to protect themselves from these types of financial losses, and this is where medical transport insurance comes into play.
In this post, we’ll examine the general landscape of paying for medical transportation, how medical transport insurance works, and various options for protecting yourself from financial losses related to health emergencies.
Let’s get started.
What is medical transport insurance?
Medical transport insurance for individuals is a type of insurance coverage that helps cover the costs associated with medical transportation services. This type of insurance policy is designed to assist individuals who may require specialized transportation to access medical care or treatment. It can provide financial protection in situations where regular transportation methods (such as private vehicles or public transportation) are not suitable due to the person’s medical condition.
Note that this type of insurance policy would generally be separate from your standard health insurance or Medicare policy.
Does my insurance cover emergency medical transportation?
In short; probably not. One of the primary reasons that medical transport insurance exists is because regular health insurance plans typically do not cover emergency medical services; at least not in full. Many medical plans will cover a portion of the costs, but you’ll be on the hook for the rest.
Related reading: Travel Insurance vs. Health Insurance
How much does medical transportation cost?
This is a difficult question to answer, as there are several variables that must be addressed in order to reach an accurate figure.
That said, your costs may range from zero because you’re fully covered, to more than a hundred thousand because your emergency medical services were not.
Does Medicare cover emergency medical transportation?
Medicare will generally cover 80% of the approved amount for ambulance services via Medicare Part B, but the patient is responsible for the remaining 20%, in addition to any applicable deductible. However, if you have a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy, it may help cover some or all of these costs.
Also, medical transport patients will also need to meet various criteria, including:
For more info, please visit Medicare.gov.
Where to find medical transport protection
If you’re looking to add some protection against the potential financial consequences due to medical transport, you have a few options.
Your insurance company
First up, you’ll want to check your current health insurance policy to find out what your coverage is in terms of emergency medical transportation. As discussed, it is likely limited, but it’s still worth a phone call as you may have this protection at no cost.
If you are an employee who is on a plan from your place of business, check with your HR staff to see what types of insurance coverages they offer.
Dedicated medical transportation insurance
As discussed earlier, there are companies that offer this type of insurance specifically. One example is MASA Medical Transport Solutions, who offers medical transport plans.
Travel assistance providers
If your concern for medical transportation is connected to your travel plans, you might actually want to consider a travel assistance plan (as opposed to another insurance policy). With a travel assistance membership from Emergency Assistance Plus (EA+), you can protect yourself not only from the financial burden of emergency medical transport, but also the logistics.
No matter where you’re traveling in the world, if you have an emergency that requires specialty medical transport, EA+ has a team of highly skilled professionals at the ready to ensure you receive proper medical care and are provided necessary transportation home—at no additional cost besides your annual membership fee.
Everyone knows baggage insurance provides coverage for lost, stolen or delayed luggage—here’s everything else you need to know.Continue Reading
If a medical emergency occurs while you’re traveling—either domestically or abroad—you want to know that you and your loved ones are well-protected. Emergency Assistance Plus not only offers that protection but the peace of mind to explore the world with confidence.